• Check to see if your senior photo is in the book now, under the tab Yearbook Information

• Check out the new concession stands brought you by to the PTO!

Toilet Talk

Lauryn Pan a senior at Sunset casually washes her hands in one of the school’s bathrooms. Pan isn't the most amused as she washes her hands in a public restroom that isn't as clean as her bathroom at home.

Bridgette Skiba

Bridgette Skiba, Writer

Public bathrooms have never been considered the most luxurious places in the world; there are too many reasons why they are a load of crap. The amount of time that girls wait in line to do their business is equivalent to the amount of toilet paper squares left on the floors. As soon as you walk into the ladies’ restroom, you can tell that the overall temperature is uncomfortably ten degrees warmer than the rest of the building (Don’t ask, no one knows why).

Once you’re in the remarkably humid chamber of grossness, you go to pick a stall which, if it’s your lucky day, hopefully has all of its business flushed down (probably not). After you’re inside this confined space, you pray that there is a lock that actually functions and that the gap between the other stalls isn’t big enough for people to take a peek at you. However, while you’re inside this small space, there are a number of different things that can catch you eye…

Graffiti is one aspect of the world that people have mixed feelings about. Some people view graffiti as art but others view it as comedic writings. One of the most remarkable aspects about the girl’s restrooms at Sunset High School is the different messages/drawings left on the stall walls for all eyes to see. Some can be motivational, comical, or just plain rude; you never know what you will find.  

For some people, graffiti is an outlet to communicate with others or rant and start rumors about your enemies. Even though graffiti has a very negative connotation since it’s technically vandalism, people look forward to it in the bathroom. Whether or not you choose to participate in the act of graffiti, you’ve got to admit that the messages are pretty entertaining, and take your mind off of doing your business.

A senior at Sunset named Riley Prillwitz claims that “graffiti adds a fun twist into my day.” However, she recognizes it can be negative. “I know administrators see it as vandalism, and it’s dirty for the custodians to clean so I feel bad for them.”

Junior Ishani Shrestha claims otherwise  “I don’t like graffiti in our school at all. A lot of it is just bad words.” Unlike Prillwitz, Shrestha doesn’t find the humor in the messages instead, she finds them plain disrespectful.

Though Prillwitz and others can view graffiti as humorous, many people find it as a negative image of the school. It’s a harmful act that not only affects the people reading some of the hateful messages, but also disrupts the custodians’ already busy job. They have to spend extra time just to wipe the graffiti away whereas they could be spending their time to better the already disgusting bathrooms.

Regardless of how you view it, graffiti is hard to ignore in such a confined space. Once you’re done examining the free art work, it is now time to finish your business. If you have enough toilet paper and your toilet actually flushes, you are almost done! The last step is to hope that the censored sinks can detect your human motion and that there is enough soap and paper towels to save your hands.