• Check to see if your senior photo is in the book now, under the tab Yearbook Information

• Check out the new concession stands brought you by to the PTO!

Hawkins inspires assembly unlike any other

Motivational speaker, Keith Hawkins, stands in front of the entire student body encouraging students to come up and share. Over half of the student body crammed into the bleachers and on the floor to hear what he had to say.

Ella Skiens

On February 28th, Sunset’s schedule was put on pause for the day while Leadership held the annual, “Dare to Care” Kindness Week assembly. When 2nd period dismissed, student lined up into a grumbling herd towards the gym. Several seniors plotted an escape and snuck out under the watchful eye of campus security. Most people walked in with the assumption that this was going to be boring and that they were just going to skip the rest of their class periods.

Leadership student, David Chen opened the event to the student body; his voice became almost inaudible due to the chatter of over 2,000 students. From the looks of it, Sunset was going to treat the speaker with the same amount of respect. However, when Keith Hawkins took the stage the chatter dissipated, and students listened unlike they have ever before.

From the get-go, Hawkins called the students’ bluff of disinterest in participating. He wove humor and relatable stories which got the student body doubling over in laughter.

“Y’all need to start having fun!” Exclaimed Hawkins mid-joke.

Unlike past speakers where Sunset students left unaffected, unchanged, and with a mind-numbing pain in their back, the student body left with the startling realization that they aren’t alone. He spoke about the importance of investing in kindness. In Sunset’s vast academic rigor it is easy to get swept up in individual routines.

“We are all dealing with life,” says Hawkins.

Every student has their own amount of pressure that they are dealing with, and yet to close his presentation, Hawkins helped Sunset put that aside for the moment. Students walked onto the stage to give a shout out of appreciation to others and even ask for forgiveness. The gym fell silent as courageous student stood up and did something completely unlike the Sunset community.

Hawkins left us with a memorable impression at the end: “there’s good in all of this.”

Albeit the population of Sunset students was disgruntled to change their schedules for the assembly, they found themselves drawn into the story, laughing, and even relating to what Hawkins had to say. It was an inspiring kick-off to get the student body excited about the importance of community.