• Check to see if your senior photo is in the book now, under the tab Yearbook Information

• Check out the new concession stands brought you by to the PTO!

Five essential Halloween movies to watch

Molly Field, Op/Ed Editor

Red, yellow and orange leaves fall through the air and stick to the wet grass and cement. The air is thick with the smell of firewood and rain. With all of this, the nights are becoming shorter and colder and dozens of Halloween specials and movies make their return to television.

1. “Halloweentown” starring Debbie Renyolds and Kimberly J. Brown. Ah, “Halloweentown”, a somewhat bizarre journey of young Marnie Piper (Brown), a Halloween deprived child, through the magical world of Halloween Town, where every day is Halloween! However, all is not right in this child’s paradise, and Marnie must race to save the day. For those wanting to relive their childhood when Halloween was a day of magic and mystery this Disney Channel classic is the perfect Halloween flick. Unfortunately, the sequels were substandard and utterly forgettable.
  2. “It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown” featuring the vocal talents of Peter Robbins as Charlie Brown and Christopher Shea as Linus Van Pelt it is a Halloween Classic for the ages, as far as recreating warm and fuzzy childhood memories is the supreme champion of all time. This half-hour TV special follows the Peanuts gang as they participate in all of the usual Halloween traditions: finding a costume, trick-or-treating and waiting for the arrival of the Great Pumpkin in the neighborhood pumpkin patch.
  3. “An American Werewolf in London” stars David Naughton and Griffin Dune as David Kessler and Jack Goodman as two American college students backpacking through England when they are attacked by a werewolf. Despite being an 80s movie, “An American Werewolf in London” manages to combine comedy and horror to create one of the most influential films in werewolf history.
  4. “Poltergeist” starring Craig T. Nelson and JoBeth Williams as Steve and Diane Freeling . “Poltergeist” is yet another 80s horror movie that has terrified generation after generation. It is the story of your average family in the suburbs, that is if the average family is built on an ancient Indian burial ground and is haunted by poltergeists that want to kill you.
  5. “Edward Scissorhands”, starring Johnny Depp as Edward Scissorhands and Winona Ryder as Kim, is a modern fairy tale about a boy named Edward who just happens to have scissors for hands. After spending all of his life alone in a hilltop mansion, Edward is found by a kindly sales woman who takes him home. This coming of age romantic comedy from Tim Burton explores self-discovery and isolation with just a touch of the zany that is often associated with Halloween.