• Check to see if your senior photo is in the book now, under the tab Yearbook Information

• Check out the new concession stands brought you by to the PTO!

Filed under Entertainment

Unique fun to have in Portland

Multnomah falls beauty is caught on an evening outing to the gorge. Portland offers a variety of ways for students to have fun on a budget.

Joe Riedl

Joe Riedl

Although many students might find themselves holed up inside during the winter months, some  have found that downtown Portland has a plethora of fun ways to stay entertained at little to no cost.

“We’re so lucky to live where we do. Portland has so many things to do even during the winter,” says freshman Tessa Kemper.

Have a couple of hours and want to spend it doing something over than playing video games or watching TV? Portland offers a variety of reasons to get outside and stay entertained. The city lies right along the Columbia Gorge, and is home to a number of hikes and parks, including one that starts down the road from the Multnomah Falls trailhead.

“Angel’s Rest is a great hike because while the trek is difficult, the view is well worth it. You get a 360 degree panorama of the Columbia River Gorge at the top, and the hike is a lot of fun,”  says senior Ian Abbene

The International Rose Garden and Washington Park also have a number of activities happening almost daily, and even just taking a stroll is enjoyable and free.

“The Rose Garden is a really cute spot for a date, because you can bring warm drinks and just walk around even during the winter,” says senior Peyton Kelly.

Portland is known for its music, and there are plenty of artists that play for little to no money. The Portland Mercury has daily listings for free concerts of underground bands around Portland. There are even venues where regular citizens can perform themselves.

“Backspace, a cafe on fifth avenue, has weekly poetry slams where anyone can go and sing or read their own poetry and stories,” says Kemper. “My neighbor goes almost every week; she loves it so much.”

Food carts are always a delight. The largest gathering of Food Carts in the U.S. is actually in Portland, on SW ninth and Alder. It boasts over 60 carts so there are many options for low prices. Another great place to get good, cheap food is Little Big Burger.

“Little Big Burger is great because its got decent serving sizes, fast service, and the food is actually pretty good,” says senior Kai Sakamoto.

Even with colder weather approaching, Portland offers a variety of ways for Sunset students to have a good time for a low price in a way that is different from the normal high school rountine.