• Check to see if your senior photo is in the book now, under the tab Yearbook Information

• Check out the new concession stands brought you by to the PTO!

Consumer Electronics Show 2015 Highlights

Ria Chang, Technology Editor

Every year, people from all over the world gather in Las Vegas, Nevada, to show off the latest technologies across categories such as automotive electronics, personalized health care solutions, unmanned vehicles, connected devices, 3D printers and gaming. The consumer electronics show, or CES, is one of the biggest tech shows in the world, and attracts a huge variety of people, from large tech companies to startups, and fanatics in between. The CES this year turned out to be the largest in history, featuring over 3,600 exhibitors and a record number of startups, over 170,000 industry professionals and much more. Here are just some of the most interesting technologies spotted.

Spearheading virtual reality was Oculus Rift, showing off the latest version of its hardware. The virtual reality headset, featuring 360 degree head tracking and stereoscopic 3D view allows for its users to experience games and virtual worlds as immersively as possible.

oculus-rift-hands-on-ces-2015-3

Intel CEO Brian Krzanich’s Keynote presentation this year only confirmed the rapid expansion of the world of 3D-printing and drones. Quadcopter drones floated in every corner of the building, and 3D printers were common as well, printing with a wide variety of materials, from metal, wood and stone, to cupcakes, chocolate and pizza.

djc3678-640x427

The Internet of Things connected home is an uprising trend, upgrading household appliances to be smarter, more aware and communicate with one another to get tasks done faster. Samsung, LG and FirstBuild led the charge with the dual-door oven, clever washer and a new USB-integrated smart fridge.

samsung-internet-of-things

Self-driving cars are hitting high gear this year. Rivals Samsung and Mercedez-Benz sent autonomous prototypes to the show, and BMW and Volkswagon brought similar automated technology to the show, showcasing self-parking vehicles and increasingly tech-savvy cars.

ces-010814-2

Withings’ Activité Pop proved that wearables can blend in and still be smart, looking like regular watches on the outside with bluetooth capabilities built in. Misfit’s Swarovski Shine shone bright with beautiful pendants that doubled as solar-powered fitness trackers.

Withings-Activite-Pop-6401

Meanwhile, audio devices remained wire-free, depending on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections to blast high quality audio. Wireless is definitely the key selling point for audio right now.

Image 7
My personal favorite? Printable chocolate and fashionable tech. With delicious food becoming as convenient as pressing a button and wearables becoming more aesthetically pleasing, it’s hard to deny that the innovations showcased at this year’s CES are achieving a new level of appeal for consumers.