• Check to see if your senior photo is in the book now, under the tab Yearbook Information

• Check out the new concession stands brought you by to the PTO!

Spamalot at Sunset

Emma Chesnut, Editor-in-cheif

This spring season Sunset  chose a very untraditional musical to present to the community. It’s quirky, it’s cheesy, it’s funny, it’s Monty Python’s Spamalot, and in my opinion it’s a must see. The language and plot of this play is certainly not what most would expect when they go to a classic musical, there was no Singin’ In the Rain nor Summer Lovin’, but nonetheless it was thoroughly entertaining and well executed by the Sunset cast.  

Spamalot is, as the poster says, “A Musical lovingly ripped from the motion picture Monty Python and the Holy Grail.” If you’re a fan of the movie, you are sure to love this musical. It holds the same ridiculous jokes such as the coconut-clops of imaginary horses or the horrible knights who say “Ni.”

If you’ve spent your whole life avoiding classic comedies and haven’t seen Monty Python’s the Holy Grail, I suppose a quick explanation of Spamalot is necessary. The story takes place in the middle ages and follows King Arthur (Perry Waggoner) and a few troubled knights: Sir Robin (Jake Larimer), Sir Lancelot (Oskar Linde), Sir Galahad (Sam Neff), and Sir Bedevere (Grace Horton), and King arthur’s trusty assistant, Pasty (Lucy Gordon) as they embark on a mission from God to find the holy grail. Along the way, they encounter the lady of the lake (Jessica Caldwell), the determined Black Knight (Martha Harris), a very musical Prince Herbert (Jacob Cox) in need of a savior, some rude frenchmen, and of course, a vicious, dangerous and murderous bunny. By the final scenes of the play all the knights find their own holy grail in a series of musical numbers and joke-filled scenarios.

The play was performed well and certainly brought out laughter in the audience. The entire cast deserves some sort of praise for holding their accents throughout, as someone who cannot even begin to attempt decent british accent, I have much appreciation for the Sunset thespians who did so with persistence.  

As the lead, Perry Waggoner perfectly captured the prideful yet comical character of King Arthur. His opposite, Jessica Caldwell as the Lady of Lake along with many other cast members gave justice to the musical aspect of Spamalot with numbers like “The Song That Goes Like This” and “The Diva’s Lament.” The remaining Knights of the round table all enhanced the enjoyability of the film exceelling in singing, acting, dancing, and well, comedy. And Lucy Gordon made Pasty an unlikely favorite character in this adaptation of the Holy Grail. Even minor characters such as the French Taunter or Not Dead Fred had great performances that added  immensely to the humor of this  musical.

spamalot2

I would also like to complement the crew. I was surprised scene after scene by the complexity of backdrops; vibrant castles, signs dropped from the ceiling, actors elevated on rising pedestals, and all in a high school production. My one and only complaint is that their were issues with the sound all through out, but I’m not that picky, and hopefully you won’t be either. Spamalot is a musical worth checking out this spring, but is only out for one more weekend. My suggestion is go see it before it’s too late, and join King Arthur and his knights on their quest to find the holy grail.