• Check to see if your senior photo is in the book now, under the tab Yearbook Information

• Check out the new concession stands brought you by to the PTO!

Mary Poppins at Sunset

Lauryn Pan, Editor

Sunset Theater
When one reminisces about the timeless classic Disney film “Mary Poppins,” they tend to remember the fun and exciting songs that are filled with magic and wonder. That is probably the reason why when word got around that Sunset High School’s Drama Department was to perform this iconic musical, the Sunset community lined up, excited to see the show.

With high hopes, people filled in the large Sunset theater, taking in the elegant blue border with brick buildings and silhouettes painted on that surrounded the stage, setting the London scene for the rest of the musical. In the crowd, there was just about every age. Bring to the surface their inner child and reminiscing in the nostalgic feeling of the show.

For anyone who didn’t have the chance to experience Mary Poppins, is the story of a troubled family. Right off the bat, we’re introduced to the workaholic Father, George Banks (Jake Dellinger) the overwhelmed wife and mother, Winifred Banks (Amy Martin), and two troublesome children, Jane (Erin Allais) and Michael Banks (Uma Pandit). Due to the mischievous children, the family goes through nannies frequently. But, all that changes when the “practically perfect” Mary Poppins (Megan Boek) floats down from the sky (literally) and flips their world upside down, or rather right side up. Mary Poppins works wonders on the children’s, and parent’s, behavior. By the finale, she leaves feeling confident that she has pieced the Banks family back together. All while this is happening, Bert (Sam Neff) a chirpy Master of all Trades and dear friend of Mary Poppins, helps keep the magic alive and adds many wonders to the show.

The musical as a whole was portrayed beautifully. With detailed costumes and outstanding sets, it was hard to look away from the stage. Visually, the show a complex production, but the crew managed to transition semi-flawlessly between scenes. As for the performances, supporting acts such as Bert and Winifred Banks stole the show with breathtaking vocals and passionate acting. Other roles that blew the audience away were the Bird Women (Em Schultz), and Miss Andrew (Martha Harris). Both were roles that required a lot of unique talent but were spot on and down right entertaining. The casting couldn’t have been any more perfect.

Mary Poppins has many magical elements within the story which can put a strain on the illusion in a live performance, but the Sunset Theater did its best. With nerve racking flying scenes and clever ways of hiding props in Mary Poppins iconic bottomless bag, the magic was kept alive for the younger dreamers and old time admirers in the crowd. While the show was fantastic visually, during dancing scenes or upbeat song montages, the energy on stage seemed to be lacking. This could be because it was the second performance of the day, but nevertheless, the show must go on. With great dedication and determination, they put on a Mary Poppins production that will never be forgotten.

Sunset’s Mary Poppins is a must see. For all those that still believe in magic or those that still need a little convincing, this is the show for you. With breathtaking visuals and unforgettable solos, it is sure to entertain all ages. When the final scene ended, the curtains closed, and the lights turned back on, the crowd was still left in a magical daze that only a good musical can inspire. Mary Poppins at Sunset High School is an experience that no one should miss.