• Check to see if your senior photo is in the book now, under the tab Yearbook Information

• Check out the new concession stands brought you by to the PTO!

Student strives to perform

Sharada Menon, Staff Writer

Using expressive hand gestures, senior Madison Howard talks animatedly about her passion for music and theater.

“Ultimately, I strive to perform. It’s the only way I really know how to express myself,” says Howard. “I can’t think of anything else I want to do with my life.”

Howard is a part of the Madrigals, the most advanced choir at Sunset led by choir teacher, Chris Rust. She started singing in the fifth grade when her mom signed her up for the musical “Alice in Wonderland”.

“I can’t even keep track of how long I have been singing,” says Howard.

Howard plans to continue studying music after she graduates this year. She has applied to nine colleges to study classical singing and hopes to one day perform in operas.

“Opera is a marathon. I have to be ready to train my entire life,” says Howard.

In addition to having vocal lessons twice a week, Howard practices  either acting, music or music composition everyday.

“I started not knowing anything. I wouldn’t be here without all the work,” says Howard. “The audience doesn’t see the hours and hours of work at home.”

In addition to singing, Howard is involved in theater at Sunset as well. One of Howard’s favorite roles was Gertrude in “Seussical the Musical” during the Summer Music Camp at after her sophomore year.

“It was all kinds of fun. Gertrude had this really funny voice and I really like being funny,” says Howard.

Howard also helps to organize Apollos Unplugged; this year she focused on making the event more inclusive.

“I don’t think there is nearly as much talent at other high schools. You meet so many great, funny people at Sunset,” says Howard.

Howard believes that an important part of performing is being able to connect with an audience.

“I’m showing and giving you all this music, and I want you to feel it. If you’re doing something and everyone is happy all of the time, you’re doing something wrong,” says Howard.

Howard strives to evoke emotions in her audiences with her strong voice and emotional acting. In both acting and singing, she always manages to convey her passion.