• Check to see if your senior photo is in the book now, under the tab Yearbook Information

• Check out the new concession stands brought you by to the PTO!

Filed under Features

Senior Abby Griffiths has senior year packed to max

Captain Abby Griffiths poses for a quick picture before leading the team in a water polo game. Griffiths has been on the sunset water polo team since her sophomore year.

Victoria Pence

Senior Abby Griffiths is making her last year at Sunset count by becoming the captain of not only the varsity water polo and varsity lacrosse teams, but also by being a full IB graduate candidate. Griffiths is both the current goalie of Sunset’s water polo team and the captain, and when lacrosse starts in the spring, she will assume the position of offensive captain on that team as well.

“Its school, then practice, then homework, then sleep. I love being busy and always having something to do,” said Griffiths.

This is Griffiths’s third year on the Sunset water polo team. She’s been playing water polo since her sophomore year, after her friend on swim team convinced her to try out.  Griffiths loves the sport and hopes to play for fun in the future.

“I’m like a fish. I love to be in the water,” said Griffiths.

Griffiths’ favorite aspects of the water polo team are the people on it and the fact that she gets to swim.  Due to her prior experience on a local swim team, Griffiths was able to adapt well to the sport and eventually became goalie. Sunset’s water polo team is ranked second in metro, and will play in playoffs this fall with Griffiths as the goalie.

“Just like water polo, I think that it would be fun to play lacrosse in college,” said Griffiths,

Griffiths has played lacrosse since sixth grade, and she’s loved every year of it. This spring she will assume the role as captain on Sunset’s varsity team. Besides sports, Griffiths is also working on the IB Diploma, and has little room for extra activities. Yet, somehow Griffiths has time for both athletics and school work, which will allow Griffiths to end her high school career as not only being a captain of two varsity Sunset sports, but also as a graduate with the IB Diploma.

Griffiths’s involvement in Sunset’s varsity water polo and lacrosse teams, and her dedication to the IB diploma, has made her senior year a busy one that she will enjoy.