• Check to see if your senior photo is in the book now, under the tab Yearbook Information

• Check out the new concession stands brought you by to the PTO!

Screenagers Review

Bridgette Skiba, Staff Writer

Junior Staff writer Bridgette Skiba was required to watch the 2016 documentary, Screenagers during AT like the rest of junior, sophomore and freshmen classes this week. Around the school there is a lot of buzz about the content of the movie and if it will be a waste of our study time. Here Skiba gives her impression before and after watching the film.

Before the movie

Screenagers, a movie produced just to make teens feel even more self-conscious about themselves than they already are. This movie will be aimed at showing young adults the impact that technology (specifically smartphones) has on our lives. I feel as if this movie is going to be targeted only at teenagers and no other age group which is pretty stereotypical. I do agree that teens are on their phones a lot, but adults can be just as bad if not worse. Putting the blame of phone addictiveness on one age group is not fair to everyone. It gives people a false sense of who really is to blame for the dependence of technology, which is everyone. Before watching this movie, I would really like to see helpful techniques that anyone can use to limit their screen time. My overall opinion of the movie prior to watching it is that this film will be mostly about the consequences of using technology. I also predict that it will portray the common adult perspective which seems to be that teens are bad people for being on their phones regardless of what their reason might be.

After the movie

The movie was just as predicted. Although it gave some new insight in how we can limit screen time, it mostly bashed on how awful teens are with screens. Most of the examples used of teenagers were cell phone extremists, so it was hard to relate to these type of phone users. The film talked about how one guy dropped out of college and had to attend to a cell phone free rehab center for a couple of months. I know I use my phone a lot, but I’m pretty sure that most teens don’t have that big of an obsession with their phones. With unrealistic situations portrayed greatly in the movie, it was hard to focus on the actual content of how everyone could fix their screen time problems. Some helpful tips (given by teens) was to turn off their data to prevent internet access or even install apps that prevented social media use during homework time. Unlike the teens, adults in the movie had different kinds of punishments and strict rules to enforce pertaining to screen time. Most adults don’t realize how much teens actually need phones in order to succeed and accomplish tasks in school or even life in general. Think about Canvas, Studentvue or reaching out to peers for group projects, we use them on a daily basis. Screenagers the movie was overall very cheesy and degrading towards young adults whereas it should have been geared towards helping teens with tips for how we can efficiently utilize technology.