• Check to see if your senior photo is in the book now, under the tab Yearbook Information

• Check out the new concession stands brought you by to the PTO!

The Unsung Heroes: Photographers making moments last forever

Bridgette Skiba, Editor

Every moment that our school values as important can be captured by one unique person: a photographer. Each game, play, concert, club, assembly, activity, or memory that needs coverage can be remembered through a single image taken by photographers. Amongst the many photographers that go to our school, these key people share the same passion for their art, but have taken different paths to get to where they are today…    

Ben Goetch a senior track runner: “Last year, I went on a backpacking trip with TJ, only had phone but took some really cool pics. Wondered what I could do with an actual camera. Main reason why I did yearbook is so that I could improve photography and even more mix it with some journalism. Rewarding to see improvement. Watched Youtube videos and figured techniques out on own. Peter McKinnon on youtube is a really good photographer that I look up to and aspire to be like him.”

Kenny Park a musically gifted junior: “My sister introduced me to Instagram in 6th grade. Didn’t even have a real phone then. Both sister and mom had different phones that could take high quality pictures. Sister created an Instagram account for me and looked at pictures that inspired me to take some, started from there, played around with editing, brought me to where I am today. Take pictures of people mostly. Feels important to take pictures in an environment that is so welcoming. I don’t have to feel shy to take pictures. A lot of people appreciate sports but ignore the fact that they are taken by their peers. Say a lot with pictures that don’t need words. Very beautiful ark form. Don’t be discouraged to start taking pictures, get inspired, if you are interested even if some people have thousands of followers we all start from somewhere”

David Cronk, also a senior track runner: “First year of yearbook, no photography experience prior to coming in. First football game, one of editors, Ethan Uehara took me to the side, he one one of the only people who showed up to take pictures. Taught me the ropes. First pictures ended up pretty bad. Being in that situation got him into photography and after that I just took off. Ethan’s one of the best sport’s photographers I know, and there’s no way I could ever get to his level. Seeing his work inspired me to take my photography more seriously. Being in yearbook you gain an understanding and appreciation for the activity that you’re shooting.”

Ashley Williams a senior triathlete: “In middle school, I used to take pictures of food and post them on my mom’s facebook page. Then I got my first little camera. I didn’t take any photography classes because they didn’t provide any important credits. Junior year I decide to change that and then I took yearbook. It’s more about sharing it with other people and making them feel good. More important for other people to enjoy my work. It took me 2 hours to get one senior picture taken of me because it’s embarrassing for me. I like to take other people’s pictures and stay behind the camera since it’s more enjoyable for me because I can capture the beauty that other people may not see when looking in the mirror.

Fernanda Gaete a senior sports enthusiast: “Ummm this year I’m taking a lot of pictures at sporting events and it’s because last year I was injured and I couldn’t play a lot of sports so I started going to watch all of my friends play. So I realized that I could be taking pictures of them because everyone loves getting pictures taken of them. Sports photos are really cool. And I really started liking taking sports pictures. Even though I can play sports this year, I still spend a lot of time going to different events and getting pics so every sport gets recognition. It’s a really important job to be a photographer because coming into high school I felt as if I wouldn’t do anything important like that and I think it’s a job that people don’t notice sometimes but once the events over, people start to realize how important it was and it’s special feeling to say that you were able to capture that moment for people to remember. I tend to make sure everyone around me is happy before I think about myself and it translates into photography because I don’t really like my picture getting taken but I’m always up to take pictures and show people off.”

Alina Wei an adventurous senior: “When I was in middle school I always followed instagram photographers and they always gave me ideas to try out. I didn’t have a camera until I got it as a gift in high school and started taking photography. Introvert. I don’t like being in front of the camera it freaks me out. I like showing moments in a picture. I like to explore different techniques. I get my inspiration from other photographers.”